This library forms part of the University Library of the Medical University of Vienna. It is housed on the ground floor of the Josephinum and is open to the public. Containing approximately 500,000 individual volumes, the library sees itself on the one hand as Austria’s largest archive library for the history of medicine and related disciplines, while on the other, it offers up-to-date research literature on the history and social history of medicine.
Thus as well as many thousands of historic monographs it contains around 35,000 historic dissertations and around 100,000 historic special printings, known as separata; then there are circa 750 historic and current journals and over 5,000 monographs on recent research, with more constantly being added.
The foundation for this extensive stock of medico-historical secondary literature was laid in the early 20th century by the then director of the Institute for the History of Medicine, Max Neuburger (1868-1955) – some of its historic holdings date back as far as the 15th century, however.